Saturday, February 20, 2010

Meteor found to be Ice Age Rock Formations From 11,000 Years Ago - Welland Canal Wetlands

I sent some photos to Centre for Planetary Science & Exploration asking if it was a Meteor I had found.  They sent back a nice little email telling me it was a perfectly round rock due to the ice age 11,000 years ago in the Niagara Region on the escarpment.  I felt kind of foolish but honestly I was so excited when I took the photos.  I was looking to discover the next BIG thing. I was kind of disappointed and bummed out when I found out it was just a plain old rock.  I'm going to share the photos here with you of the view there.  It's also in a video I created on http://www.youtube.com/ideagirlconsulting




This photo is a rock that had unusual things in it.  I figured it belongs to an old 1800s foundation but not quite sure what it was.

 Hallo Linda,
> Thanks for sending your finding description and the pics. No worries about the rocks -they are not meteorites, but instead were left by the last glaciers ~11,000 years ago! The big boulders are called glacial `erratics' because they do not come from the local bedrock around here!
> Looks like a nice area to walk!
> Cheers,
> -pjam
>
>    Phil McCausland
> CPSX Postdoctoral Fellow
> Centre for Planetary Science & Exploration
> c/o Department of Earth Sciences,
> University of Western Ontario
> 1151 Richmond St.,
> London, ON Canada   N6A 5B7
> http://aquarid.physics.uwo.ca/people/phil
> __________________________________
>    "The past is never finished." 
>                               -Anne Enright

No comments:

Post a Comment