Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Welland Canal - St Davids Rd - Pine St - Mountain Locks Photo Tour - Linda Randall

We parked near the base of Keefer Mansion by ST David's Rd W and Pine St in the parking lot there.  It's hard to believe that this is where the First Welland Canal was built.  Mr. Keefer writes in his diary that men would often build factories and sawmills along the canal to use it's waters for free from the Government.  I don't think that lasted long though.  I was shocked when I found out the canal used to be where Front St is now.  The anchor in the picture belongs to one of the first ships that went through the canal.  It's located in Thorold, Ontario, Canada.

I've lived here for over 40 years and had no idea there was a canal close by to me.  Kind of weird isn't it?
I found it for the first time in 2009.  I felt like I was discovering a whole new world. I love the sounds of rushing waterfalls.  It's so soothing.  The water stinks like fish and chemicals.


I like how the sun plays on the water casting shadows from the trees.

the locks were so much smaller in the First Welland Ship Canal built in the early 1800s.

Clyde is looking for fish.  We often see large fish swimming upstream in the canals.  They love it when I throw bread crumbs.  They gobble it up like crazy.

Today was funny, I was out walking along the canal and some little ducks began to follow me.  I think they know me.  I love feeding them my leftover bread.  Sometimes I take about ten loaves of bread from out of my freezer and feed them.  I whistle a certain way so they know it's me.

The ducks, geese and swans, seagulls all know me by my whistle from feeding some of them down in Port Dalhousie.  One of my little seagulls only has one leg, the other foot fell off.  Once there was a chinese student holding this little bird.  Both of us worked for an hour with little scissors taking fishing line and twine that was wrapped around the poor little guys foot.  We took care of about three birds that day.  They were limping and she had a way with them. I helped by cutting the fishing line and carefully unwrapping it from their feet while she held the bird.  I wish I had pictures.  Her boyfriend did take some, they were from China and didn't speak any English. ( I think they had just come to our country back then, or maybe they were just shy).

Nature has a universal language.  Show it some love and it will love you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment